pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Aftermath From The Greatest Party Ever...

From the country...

The BIG 6th birthday bash
 Lucas has an impeccable memory. He is constantly blowing my mind with the minute details of any given day. This year he informed me that he has never really had a birthday party (aside from family ones) and that last year all he received was a stinking bird house... Which may be true but there has been some other good birthdays passed for this little guy.

Needless to say the Momma guilt set in and the party of the century was planned. April Fool's Day just so happened to fall on Easter Monday. I took this into consideration when inviting because I thought (silly me) that everyone would be busy with Easter plans- so I invited a few extra kids.

EVERYONE RSVPed!!

I had 13 kids here (not including toddlers and adults). It reminded me of the Robert Munch book, Moira's Birthday where she invited grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, grade 6, grade 7, grade 8 aannnnnnddd Kindergarten! I had kids of all ages. At one point I went upstairs and there were kids everywhere- even in the crawl space below the attic. I needed to get this kids doing something.

Luckily I had planned a scavengerish hunt outside. We had 4 teams: the Snake Rockers, The Champions, The Flying Thunder Horses and The Dragon Slayers (the kids made up the names). The weather held up for the short time we were outside (it was a cold, windy, terrible day...). I had activities like- find a man with a beard and ask him to yodel, push each member of your team on the swing, make a play dough creation of Lucas and challenge another team to a tug o' war. Then there was the farm centric activities like collect 1 white egg, 1 blue egg and 1 brown egg, take a photo of your team around the tractor tire/ below the old taxidermy fish above the shed and dig up a dinosaur from the soil bin in the green house.

This guy has been around for awhile...
After the game which was filled with laughter and some tears, the kids came back inside for some cake (chocolate cake with green icing and dinosaurs), ice cream, prizes, and then a dance party.

Oh and we had food too! All the stuff that Lucas loves rice balls with dipping sauce, guacamole with corn chips, olives, chips and bean dip, summer sausage, punch...

So anyway I hope that I have officially redeemed myself in the eyes of my newly crowned 6 year old. The disadvantage though to the party of the century is that I have set the bar pretty high here and my kids will be expected a blow out for every birthday...

sheesh.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It "> Related Posts with Thumbnails Pin It