pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Saddled up and ready to go!

From the country... So my mail order turkey saddles have arrived and after an evening of wrestling turkey hens, most of the ladies have canvas adorning their well protected backs. While dressing the ladies, one hen in particular fly up and me, wings a flappin' and with a swift flap to the face, I could have sworn she broke my nose (not the case... my nose is just fine). All the turkeys are separated into various breeding pens and now it is up to nature to take it's course. Call me off kilter, but we have been watching the mating of turkeys lately and it is quite an impressive feat. I can see why the big breasted commercial turkeys cannot mate naturally, it is a pretty involved process. All Mark and I talk about these days is the sex lives of our turkeys (farmer foreplay I guess...). I have a spent some quality time in the greenhouse transplanting lettuce seedlings and seeding down the cold frames with various salad greens. After a long winter of root vegetables I am looking forward to chowing down on some fresh green things. So all said and done, I have been officially bit in the rubber boots by spring. Every day a new farm project is started and I feel the excitement of starting a new season.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT!! TOTALLY understand where you're coming from, wish we'd had some of these for out ladies a few years back, before we offed the rooster...

    ReplyDelete

Pin It "> Related Posts with Thumbnails Pin It