pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

CSA Share #5

From the City (temporarily in a small town)...

My CSA share this week:
Stir fry greens
2 cucumbers
1 quart currants
1 bag basil
1 quart snow peas
1 bunch garlic scapes (sadly the last of the season, on to fresh garlic for us!)
2 heads of lettuce
1 dozen eggs
1 purple pepper (which Simon ate all of before I could even have a bite)
1 large pork shoulder

Small town living is goooooooood. I've been having the best time these past two weeks totally relaxing and spending lots of time with fam, both mine and Simon's. Its these times that you really have to, not to sound like a total cheese or whatever but, cherish. We really do have the best families.

The last two weeks in my life have consisted of:
  • swimming at least once every day
  • mini road trips to see family
  • playing cards in the sun
  • big walks/hikes
  • waking up on our time (never with an alarm clock because I think that it is one of the worst, most unnatural things to do ever, but we also never sleep past 8 am because we've really started to enjoy the cool early summer mornings)
  • gardening
  • playing with our nieces and nephews who are wonderful and adorable and exciting and fun and exhausting all at the same time
  • cooking
  • eating
  • baking pies
  • picking raspberries
  • going to the farmers market down the street
  • eating dinner all together
  • being part of a family book club/reading in the shade in the hot afternoons
I know right...it totally pays to take summers off, just not monetarily of course.

So I had big big plans to make pulled pork sandwiches. My SIL sent me her amazing recipe, I had the ingredients, I had the ambition, I was ready to go. Then I got side tracked. Simon said, "let's not cook, it's too hot, let's order pizza tonight instead" and so, knowing my weakness for things doughy and cheesy I ditched the idea to make it. Something similar happened the next day. So instead I roasted it and it wasn't nearly as good, still delicious but definitely no pulled pork. So I say, if you buy the pork shoulder, don't get lazy, don't listen to the ramblings of a certain someone, make the sandwich.

Here's the recipe if you prove to be a better person than myself.

Pulled Pork for the Slow Cooker/Crock Pot

1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. ground mustard
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 cup brown sugar
pinch of salt and pepper
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
3 pounds(ish) pork shoulder

Mix all ingredients in slow cooker, add pork. Cook on high for 6-8 hours.

I still did manage to eat most of my share last week. We had amazing salads with a basil vinaigrette, sauteed garlic scapes, scrambled eggs with leftover ham and stir fried greens with soy and sesame sauce.

Basil Vinaigrette
1 cup olive oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1 bunch basil
salt and pepper

Puree the whole mess in your blender, bullet, food processor or whatever other fancy tool you have on hand.

"a little of what you fancy does you good"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It "> Related Posts with Thumbnails Pin It