pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dumplings have changed my life.

From the City...
The best thing about Toronto, for me anyway, is the food. I could literally go out for three squares a day and feel completely fulfilled and satisfied. I love love love to cook though so that pretty much prevents that from actually happening.

Last night Simon and I went out for sushi at one of our favorite spots in the annex and I couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness that soon our life in a small town will greatly restrict our love of 'international' cuisine. No longer can we zip out for spicy salmon rolls and edamame . Yikes, seriously.

What I'm going to miss the most though is my favorite spot in China town, The Dumpling House. Simon and I go there at least once a week and we are always totally blown away by how good the food is, how friendly the servers are and how downright cheap the food is. We both leave completely full for $20 including tip.

We have turned a lot of people on the Dumpling House. Every time we go with someone new they throw a kink in our regular visit by ordering something we've never tried, like lamb dumplings (Meg and Bri) or Sweet and Sour Soup (James and Hayley) or Fried Bean Curd (Laura).
328 Spadina. Check it out if you're in the area.

Here's a recipe that I use to use a lot before I discovered the dumpling house. It's very easy but a little time consuming. The recipe calls for pork but I could see swapping it for lamb or any other favorite protein would still turn out quite well.

1 package wonton wrappers 2 lbs. pork/lamb/shrimp/chicken 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp green onions
3 tbsp sesame oil
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 egg, beaten
5 cups shredded Chinese (napa) cabbage

Mix everything together well. Put a tbsp of mixture into each wrapper and fold according to package directions.

Yummy Dipping Sauce to go with:

1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 to 2 tbsp water
1 green onion, chopped fine
2 tsp sugar
1 garlic clove, minced

Mix everything together well.

Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. This is my first time in your blog and I am hooked. You guys have done a great job. Did you say Lamb Dumplings?! I am a huge fanatic of lamb in any form. Any chance you can score ther ecipe from the restaurant? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie,

    Thanks for coming to our blog, so glad you enjoy it!

    I just checked out your blog and it is amazing! Beautiful! Looking forward to following your adventures and your incredible photography!

    I've posted the recipe right in the post so others can give dumplings a whirl. Not everyone is as lucky as me to have the dumpling house just right up the straight.

    Please let me know how they turn out!

    amelia

    ReplyDelete

Pin It "> Related Posts with Thumbnails Pin It