pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Super Great Play Dough Recipe

From the country...

Yesterday my youngest, Luca was longing to play with his bro, Nate (who is in Kindergarten). Luc was struggling with a cold, which in his case leads to asthma and I was looking for a mellow low energy activity for him to do. I was on top of the fridge fidgeting with something and I came across a crusty, dried up ball of homemade play dough. What a great idea! I will make him some play dough! That will tie him over until Nate comes home so they can snuggle on the couch and watch some television (they do it almost every day- it is super cute!).

This play dough recipe is really easy and only takes a few minutes to make. I pick up bulk ingredients for the recipe at the bulk store when I can remember that our supplies are low. It will last for a long time when wrapped in a plastic bag. If you use gel food colouring you can really get some great vibrant colours.

The kids play with it for hours. They like to pretend to make cookies, breads and pies while sticking their concoctions in their wooden play oven to bake. Luca dropped his ball of dough in the real oven this morning and then raced to the bathroom to wash it off, returning with a slimy ball of goo. It is great fun for these guys and a nice diversion when all they want to do wrestle and throw toys (although right now they have made a fort in the living room and Nate is reading Luca a book about monster trucks..too cute)

Stove Top Play Dough
(adapted from Feed Me I’m Yours by Vicki Lansky)

1-cup white flour (I didn’t have white so I used whole wheat which worked out fine…)
¼ cup salt
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1-cup water
1 teaspoon food colouring (or less if using gel food colouring)
1-tablespoon vegetable oil

Mix flour, salt and cream of tartar in a medium sized pot. Add water, food colouring and oil. Cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Mixture will look like a globby mess, and you will be sure it is not turning out, but it will. When it forms a ball in the center of the pot, turn out and knead on a lightly floured surface (you can add more flour if dough is sticky, a little at a time) Wrap in plastic to store.

…and voila a culinary masterpiece (well the kids think it is). This is a great alternative for birthday gifts etc. I am personally not into the culture of buying cheap toys made of plastic, so if I can make something as an alternative all the better. I have been asked for this recipe before by other parents, so enjoy! (I know the kids will…)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It "> Related Posts with Thumbnails Pin It