From the City....
So this was the scene at my mother in law's place last night. Scary right? We were making yorkshire puddings and the combination of oil and a 450 degree oven caused a pretty wicked grease fire. Luckily for us, by the time the fire fighters had arrived, the fire had been doused with flour and was pretty much out. But seriously, grease fires, they take off in no time. You go from a simple little flame to a full blown fire with billowing black smoke in seconds.
Here's some tips to help you avoid a visit from your local fire fighter:
- Add foods to hot grease very carefully and slowly
- Pat foods down of excess water before adding to oil
- Keep oven mitts and a proper lid for the pots being used close by, this way, in an event of a fire you can smother it quickly
- Never pick up a pan that is on fire
- Use baking soda to put out a grease fire
- DO NOT USE WATER ON A GREASE FIRE
- Have a fire extinguisher located in your kitchen