pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Soup Series

From the City:


It's been cold and rainy in Toronto for the past three days. Simon and I have literally been hibernating all weekend just so we can avoid going out into the wind and the cold rain, because of this I have been cooking all weekend.

I'm a big fan of my freezer. I love spending a Sunday cooking large batches of soups, stews, lasagnas, casseroles and burritos for those nights during the week when you get home and don't feel like cooking but totally feel like eating.

This is another recipe that I came across at work. It's a crockpot recipe so it requires a little planning because it takes about 8-10 hrs. What I like to do with these long crockpot recipes is I prep the whole thing the night before and then just start it in the morning when I get up.

Beef and Barley Soup:


Ingredients:
  • 1 lb stewing beef
  • 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 carrots
  • 5 cups mushrooms (whatever you like)
  • 6 cups stock
  • 1/2 cup pot barley
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 bay leaf
Heat oil in a pot. Sprinkle beef with salt, pepper and thyme. When the oil is hot, braise beef. Add to crockpot.

Add onions, carrots and garlic to pot and cook until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 min. Add vegetable mixture to crockpot.

Add stock, barley, 1 cup of water, barley, tomato paste and bay leaf. Cook on low for 8-10 hrs.

Enjoy your Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It "> Related Posts with Thumbnails Pin It